Archive for June, 2019

  • California sets rules for self-drive cars

    Date: 2019.06.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    California regulators have unveiled a roadmap that would let consumers begin using self-driving cars.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    But manufacturers would have to prove the emerging technology is safe before a licensed driver could get chauffeured around town.

    The approach California’s Department of Motor Vehicles offered on Wednesday in precedent-setting draft regulations is cautious, though it does allow that Californians could be behind the wheel of a self-driving car by 2017.

    Among other safety-related requirements, the cars must have a steering wheel, and a licensed driver must be ready to take over if the machine fails.

    Google, which is pushing to get cars without a steering wheel or pedals to consumers, expressed “grave disappointment” with the rules, which the tech giant said would slow deployment of technology with huge life-saving potential.

    Though no manufacturer has said it thinks the cars are ready just yet, at least a dozen are developing the technology. Google has suggested a model could be ready for limited use sooner than the public expects.

    In September, the safety chief of its self-driving car project, Ron Medford, said the technology is “close to working pretty damn well”.

    Under California’s framework, manufacturers would receive a permit for three years, during which time consumers could lease the cars but manufacturers would be required to keep tabs on how safely they are driving and report that performance to the state.

    Drivers would need special, manufacturer-provided training, then get a special certification on their licenses. If a car breaks the law, the driver would be responsible.

    Google spokesman Johnny Luu said the company was “gravely disappointed” by the draft regulations.

    “Safety is our highest priority and primary motivator as we do this,” he said in a written statement.

  • Richardson set to lead Strikers BBL attack

    Date: 2019.06.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    Adelaide Strikers paceman Kane Richardson says he’s ready to embrace the pressure of bowling at the death in the Big Bash League.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    The big seamer is likely to be called upon in the late overs in the Strikers’ season-opening clash with Melbourne Stars on Friday night at Adelaide Oval.

    Richardson says he’s confident he and fellow spearhead Ben Laughlin will deliver for the Strikers after notching up a combined 23 wickets in last year’s campaign.

    “Everyone remembers the last over,” he said on Thursday.

    “That’s what your career is made on, those moments. You’ve got to embrace it. Having Benny Laughlin at the other end takes the pressure off because he’s so good at what he does.”

    The Strikers will have to make do without veteran quick Shaun Tait, who has signed with the Hobart Hurricanes, and Gary Putland, ruled out for the season with a calf injury.

    English spinner Adil Rashid has been named in the side’s 13-man squad alongside untried ACT paceman Greg West.

    Former Sri Lanka Test captain Mahela Jayawardene has bolstered the side’s batting lineup in the absence of injured West Indies allrounder Kieron Pollard.

    With the Stars boasting the likes of Kevin Pietersen, Glenn Maxwell and James Faulkner in their 13-man squad, Richardson said the Strikers weren’t daunted by their rival’s star-power.

    “If one player has a good night, you win the game,” he said.

    “(Strikers wicketkeeper) Tim Ludeman last year against this team won the game off his own bat.

    “We’ve changed the team a lot but I think we’ve still got a lot of players who are capable of having a good night and winning the game.”

    Ludeman smashed the fastest ever BBL half-century last time the Strikers faced the Stars, hitting 50 off 18 balls on his way to an unbeaten 92.

    Strikers 13-man squad: Brad Hodge, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Mahela Jayawardene, Hamish Kingston, Ben Laughlin, Tim Ludeman, Michael Neser, Adil Rashid, Kane Richardson, Alex Ross, Craig Simmons, Greg West

    Stars 13-man squad: David Hussey, Michael Beer, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Evan Gulbis, Peter Handscomb, John Hastings, Ben Hilfenhaus, Glenn Maxwell, Kevin Pietersen, Marcus Stoinis, Luke Wright, Adam Zampa

  • Facebook partners with Uber via Messenger

    Date: 2019.06.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    Facebook Inc says it is testing a service that will allow users of its Messenger app to hail Uber rides directly from the app, without leaving a conversation or downloading the ride-hailing app.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    Uber is the first partner for the Transportation on Messenger service, which will be available to select users in locations where Uber operates in the United States, Facebook said in a blog post.

    Uber on Messenger will start rolling out in the United States on Wednesday, Uber said in a blog post.

    Lyft, a rival ride-hailing service provider, will be added to Transportation on Messenger in January, sources close to Lyft told Reuters.

    Users can hail a ride in the latest version of Messenger by choosing “transportation” from a menu or by tapping on a car icon within a chat.

    “Facebook is looking at this as a way to make Messenger more attractive,” Thilo Koslowski, vice-president and automotive practice leader of Gartner said.

    He said the service provides a “huge market place” for Uber.

    Facebook has been aggressively working to boost the appeal of its messenger service, including making it mandatory last year for users to install a separate app to send and receive messages.

    Since then, Facebook has beefed up the app’s features by allowing users to send and receive money through Messenger.

    Still, the internet giant is playing catch up with Chinese internet company Tencent Holdings Ltd’s messaging app WeChat, which has offered similar services much earlier.

    Facebook’s shares closed up 2.1 per cent at $US106.97 on Wednesday amid a broad rally on Wall Street.

  • CBA reviews more files in advice scandal

    Date: 2019.06.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    The Commonwealth Bank is expanding its review of financial advisers to determine if more customers need to be compensated for receiving dodgy advice.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    The bank has been carrying out a wide-ranging review of its financial planning arms after more than 1,100 customers lost their savings due to poor advice.

    The corporate regulator on Thursday said while a new report by forensic accountants KordaMethna found reasonable steps were taken to identify who needed compensation, the review needs expanding.

    As a result, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission has ordered the bank to review client files of 17 financial advisers to determine whether they lost money due to bad advice.

    “If any of their clients are found to have lost money as a result of inappropriate advice, they will be compensated in a process overseen by KordaMentha Forensic,” ASIC said.

    The bank’s Commonwealth Financial Planning and Financial Wisdom have been working since 2012 to identify issues with dodgy advice.

    Commonwealth Bank wealth management executive Annabel Spring said six files would be examined in the expanded review.

    “We will now work with ASIC and KordaMentha Forensic to complete the further reviews,” she said.

    “If any customer received poor advice that resulted in financial loss, we apologise and will compensate them.”

    The bank began warning customers in 2014 they may have received poor advice and that an internal review was underway.

    But a report released by KordaMentha in April this year criticised the bank’s response to the scandal as deficient and inconsistent.

    The bank then offered up to $14 million to victims to have their cases independently reviewed.

    That offer came on top of $52 million the bank had already paid to victims of high-risk advisers, the first case of repayments in a financial planning scandal that has also engulfed Macquarie Group, National Australia Bank and ANZ.

    ASIC commissioned KordaMentha to carry out three reports into the bank’s response to its financial advice failures.

    In its latest report, KordaMentha found that the bank’s financial planning arms took reasonable steps to identify high-risk advisers and customers who needed compensation.

    However KordaMentha questioned the processes used to discover whether a group of potentially high-risk advisers should have been included in the compensation program.

    KordaMentha’s third and final report is due in 2016.

  • Women under-represented on Q&A: report

    Date: 2019.06.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    A review into the ABC program Q&A recommends the show be broadcast from more locations across Australia and include more women.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    Former SBS managing director Shaun Brown and TV journalist Ray Martin have found the show is “a responsible, professional production”, but there is an under-representation of female panellists.

    Broadcasting almost all shows from Sydney also undermines the program’s claim to represent “democracy in action”, the pair concluded in the editorial review, released on Thursday.

    Mr Brown and Mr Martin recommend the Monday program be simulcast on ABC News 24 to ensure national participation on the program’s social media platforms in equal measure.

    They say more questions should be sourced from Twitter and Facebook and care should be exercised in the selection of comments displayed in the Twitter stream at the bottom of the screen.

    “To ensure negativity towards politics in general and in particular to the government of the day are not disproportionately represented,” they say.

    Other recommendations include:

    * Invite more conservative leaning overseas guests.

    * Introduce questioners with more background.

    * Agree and publish a set of program principles.

    The pair said the program principles were not recommended with the intention of “shackling” the show.

    “But rather to free it from the sort of ill-informed criticism it has received based on an assumption that the program operates in an arbitrary manner,” they said.

    “We believe Q&A has nothing to fear, and much to gain, by offering transparency of process and protocols to all its stakeholders.”

    ABC Chairman James Spigelman welcomed the review, which analysed the show over the first half of 2015.

    “The review recognises the value of Q&A and finds no breaches of the ABC’s standards of impartiality,” he said.

    “Mr Brown and Mr Martin have made constructive points about the programs in relation to gender balance of the panel, diversity of perspectives, program principles and the desirability of filming in locations outside Sydney.” The program was already set to move to the news division early next year and Mr Spigelman said news management will develop a detailed response to the recommendations.

    Coalition backbencher Eric Abetz said the “hand-picked reviewers” offered “no solutions to the bias displayed by the program, in particular towards conservative parliamentarians”.

    It also failed to consider events around the controversial appearance earlier this year of Zaky Mallah.

    Senator Abetz said the “lettuce-leaf review” was a waste of taxpayers’ money and he vowed to pursue the matter at Senate estimates in February.

    He also took a swipe at outgoing ABC managing director Mark Scott.

    “Hopefully the next ABC managing director will be better focused on ensuring balanced programming than running a protection racket for poor decision making,” he said.