Archive for August, 2019

  • Qld couple warns of asbestos danger after Sydney storm

    Date: 2019.08.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    Brisbane couple Don and Julie Sager, whose 25-year-old son Adam died in 2007 after being exposed to asbestos fibres as a toddler, have since become advocates warning of the dangers of do-it-yourself home renovations without having the proper safety checks done first.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    “All the old homes now are due for renovation and everyone’s moving into homes and that’s the first thing they do is change things, so this is why we need to make sure everyone is aware,” Mr Sager said.

    Asbestos concerns after Sydney storm as clean-up begins

    Energy infrastructure companies have warned Kurnell residents their power may not return for up to two days, as authorities investigate any asbestos risks.

    Storm-affected Sydney residents could remain without power for up to 48 hours as authorities investigate any potential asbestos risk.

    Savage thunderstorms and a tornado ripped through Sydney’s southern and eastern suburbs, producing record gusts of 213km/h and causing major damage to local schools and power plants.

    Urgent asbestos information for residents and business owners in #Kurnell #Sydneystorm 韩国半永久纹眉,韩国半永久纹眉,/6hyz9e8nvL

    — NSW Police (@nswpolice) December 16, 2015

    The NSW State Emergency Service responded to 660 jobs across the state on Wednesday and 200 jobs remain outstanding, primarily in the Kurnell area.

    SYDNEY STORMS | #FRNSW rapid damage assessment teams on their way to assess damage in Kurnell, assisting @NSWSES pic.twitter韩国半永久纹眉会所,/dMFUkmhDMP

    — Fire & Rescue NSW (@FRNSW) December 16, 2015

    Emergency services say they are also concerned about the risk of asbestos exposure in particular.

    “Teams are going in to assess damage and look at the way forward in cleaning up there, alongside other agencies,” a SES spokeswoman said.

    “We have about 50 teams and out-of-area teams coming in from interstate.”

    Sutherland Shire Mayor Carmelo Pesce said the council had organised contractors to pick up asbestos and remove safety risks.

    He said his office had been in touch with the NSW government and with Treasurer and local federal MP Scott Morrison’s office, asking for financial assistance.

    “We are going to work together. The three governments are going to work together to try to organise something very quickly to help the residents and help the community get together,” Mayor Pesce said on the Nine Network.

    Energy infrastructure companies have promised residents who lost power they’ll work through the day to restore electricity, but said it could take up to two days.

    Energy provider Ausgrid says its electricity network in Kurnell suffered extensive damage and the roof of its local substation was ripped off.

    Major power lines feeding both the substation and local streets were also damaged.

    Around 800 homes and businesses were left without power.

    Ausgrid hopes to publish a restoration plan by noon on Thursday, but warned Kurnell residents could be without power for the next 24 to 48 hours.

    Ausgrid’s Anthony O’Brien told ABC Radio one energy transformer had been restored, but damage to people’s homes would delay any return of power.

    Energy distributor Endeavour Energy had said it expected to have all repairs completed by Wednesday evening.

    Around 120 Endeavour customers were without power on Wednesday afternoon, with 70 customers affected in the Shellharbour area alone.

    “Throughout the day, Endeavour Energy crews have worked to repair storm damage which interrupted electricity supply to over 20,000 customers across Western Sydney, the Southern Highlands and the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions,” the company said in Wednesday’s statement.

    “Endeavour Energy would like to thank all affected customers for their patience as storm repairs have been completed.”

    The Kurnell area remains restricted to residents and emergency service workers for the time being.

    Residents are also being advised to evacuate to Cronulla Leagues Club, and to stay indoors.

    The SES isn’t expecting a repeat of the weather conditions on Thursday.

  • Syd youth pressured to send funds to IS

    Date: 2019.08.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    A young Sydney man was “under the sway of others” when he agreed to take thousands of dollars from two older men at Parramatta Mosque to send to foreign fighters supporting Islamic State, a court has heard.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    The man, who cannot be named, “rolled over” on his former friends Ali Al-Talebi, 26, and Omarjan Azari, 23, who he says gave him $A6000 and $US9000 to send to Islamic State supporters.

    Al-Talebi is charged with two counts of supplying funds to a terrorist organisation, namely Islamic State, and one charge of attempting to send money.

    Azari pleaded guilty to one charge on Wednesday after a deal struck between his defence team and commonwealth prosecutors.

    In a committal hearing for Al-Talebi on Thursday, the crown witness told the court he had been influenced by others to get involved with the money transfer.

    “I was under the sway of others. Like kid under peer pressure,” he told Sydney’s Central Local Court.

    He began spending time with the older men at Parramatta Mosque and listened to their views about Islamic State and the caliphate which he said he had a “limited interest” in.

    The youth said he had been given a booklet by a man identifying himself as “Ibrahim”, who prosecutors allege was Al-Talebi, and while he flicked through it he did not consider himself a supporter.

    “I was never fully convinced by it. I didn’t have conviction in my heart,” he said.

    Prosecutors allege that Al-Talebi and Azari used the young man to transfer money through Western Union offices to Islamic State supporters, including foreign fighters in Pakistan.

    The man, who entered court in a dark suit flanked by federal police, said he was given the money in a pink plastic bag in an underground carpark at Parramatta Mosque after prayers on August 6 this year.

    “The plastic bag was given to Azari from Ibrahim, and from Azari to me,” he said.

    He didn’t need much convincing to transfer the money, despite knowing where it was going, the court heard.

    “The money is to be used to help people from Pakistan into Syria as fighters,” Al-Talebi’s lawyer Peter O’Brien read to the witness, who agreed it was what he had been instructed.

    He agreed he “did not have a gun to (his) head” when he made the transfers but later felt foolish and taken advantage of.

    Mr O’Brien is expected to make defence closing submissions on the young man’s evidence on Friday morning.

    “Without his evidence the Crown would not stand a chance of having this matter convicted,” he said.

    “That is how crucial his evidence is.”

    Magistrate Peter Miszalski is then expected to make a decision on whether Al-Talebi will be committed to stand trial.

  • ANZ admits that ‘many don’t like banks’

    Date: 2019.08.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    ANZ has admitted Australia’s big banks have a long way to go to restore customers’ trust after a year in which the country’s big four raked in $30 billion in profit while being roasted over mortgage rates, credit cards and internal errors.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    The big four’s reputation took a hammering as they hiked mortgage rates to help pay for extra capital raising and were called to a Senate committee to face questions over their credit card charges.

    Several institutions have also had to refund customers after they were short-changed by accounting errors, with ANZ alone handing back more than $40 million this year after failing to pay enough interest or carry out annual financial adviser reviews.

    “There are times the Australian community feels let down by the banks,” chief financial officer Shayne Elliott, who will take over from Mike Smith as chief executive in January, told shareholders at ANZ’s annual general meeting on Thursday.

    “It’s clear, like the other major banks, we have to work hard to help improve the industry’s reputation.

    “We all have to focus even more on culture, ethics and fairness.”

    ANZ reported a full year cash profit of $7.22 billion in October, just a week after following NAB, Commonwealth Bank and Westpac in hiking mortgage rates despite the RBA holding the cash rate steady.

    That huge profit was still below expectations and 15 per cent of shareholders voted against the remuneration report that passed at Thursday’s meeting.

    “I wont shy away from the fact that our 2015 financial performance wasn’t all I hoped it could be,” said Mr Smith, whose total remuneration for the year was $10.8 million.

    The banks’ rate hike was widely criticised by customers and politicians.

    “Many people in Australia don’t like banks,” chairman David Gonski told the meeting in Adelaide.

    “I know that we need to continue to work hard to have the respect and trust of our customers and of the wider community.

    “We have made mistakes over the years. The key is for us to own up to our mistakes, fix them and learn from the experience.”

    CBA has expressed similar goals, stating its intention at its AGM last month to become known as Australia’s most ethical bank.

    But, like its rivals, ANZ’s ethical credentials are under scrutiny from investors unhappy at the big four’s continued business dealings with carbon intensive resource companies and fossil fuel projects.

    Westpac said last week it would not rule out investing in coal projects and would continue to judge each project on merit, while Mr Gonski was quizzed on Thursday over ANZ’s dealings with Whitehaven Coal.

    He said in his address that ANZ was committed to the UN’s goal of restricting the rise in global temperatures to two degrees Celsius, but a motion to change the bank’s constitution to force greater disclosure did not garner enough votes to pass.

  • Dallas Buyers Club legal pursuit of iiNet ‘pirates’ dismissed for second time

    Date: 2019.08.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    The company that owns copyright for the film, Voltage Pictures, has been attempting to get internet service providers to handover the contact details of 4726 customers it said illegally downloaded the film.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    Ruling on the appeal, brought by Marque Lawyers on behalf of Dallas Buyers Club (DBC), Justice Perram said the entire case would be thrown out by February 11 unless other steps are taken.

    “Some finality must now be brought to these proceedings,” Justice Perram said in his judgment.

    “What I will do is make a self-executing order which will terminate the proceedings on Thursday 11 February 2016 at noon, unless DBC takes some step before then.”

    Justice Perram said the DBC had been overreaching in its request for more expensive damages from the illegal downloaders.

    “There is no reason why DBC could not have led its evidence about what a reasonable licence fee would have been at the earlier hearing,” he wrote. “It needs to be kept in mind that what is before the Court is a preliminary discovery application, not Ben-Hur.”

    “The interests of justice are not served in comparatively modest procedural litigation such as the instant case by permitting no stone to go unturned. The enterprises of the parties must be kept proportionate to what they are arguing about.”

    Shelston IP Lawyers partner Mark Vincent said those internet customers who had downloaded Dallas Buyers Club illegally can breathe a sigh of relief.

    He said the decision by Justice Perram to rule out exorbitant damages means there are only two types of damages the Justice thinks is appropriate.

    Those damages include the retail cost of the film, around $20, and the proportion of the cost DBC has incurred to get the downloaders’ details.

    “So I think is a bit of a sigh of relief from people who think they might be in the firing line here. And it has been a bit of blow on blow for Dallas Buyers Club just coming up against the Australian legal system. There are real limits on what you can claim.”

    He said the case has shown the strategy of prosecuting individuals for copyright theft in Australia has not proven lucrative or effective.

    “It’s going to be hard to make the cost back in pursuing this,” he said.

    “The court has made it clear that it will take a different approach to individuals with a single domestic use of an infringing work than what they might take with a large-scale commercial infringer.”

    He said new commercial models and legislative approaches like New Zealand’s three strikes policy for copyright theft might are emerging as more viable options following this case.

    “And this is one of the first tests of this strategy of going after thousands of individual downloaders. It hasn’t worked in Australia.

    “But I guess the other message that will come out of this is that they even need to have new commercial models for distributing content to stop this unlawful downloading, and I point to NetFlix as a good example of that, or another legislative approach to deal with this because proceeding in the courts isn’t working.”

    Dallas Buyers Club has until noon on February 11 to make an appeal.

  • Key reasons why John Boyega is your new imaginary boyfriend

    Date: 2019.08.19 | Category: 韩国半永久纹眉 | Response: 0

    Holy Moses, it’s raining Gollums bruv!

    Having done a few plays here and there, Boyega’s breakout film was the cult hit Attack The Block.

    韩国半永久纹眉

    In a cast full of remarkable young things, he emerged as the shining star playing Moses: a seemingly directionless leader of a gang of delinquents who becomes the unlikely hero after aliens invade his East London housing block. A teenager at the time, Boyega’s measured and powerful performance convinced everyone that they were looking at the next big action star. And they were right.

    He ain’t hiding

    While 99 per cent of the population rejoiced at the new and inclusive Star Wars universe J.J. Abrams was creating which – shocker – included actual people of colour and – dare we say it – women – there was a small, festering corner of the internet that called for a boycott of The Force Awakens because how dare they add diversity to a space opera. How dare they! While many stars at the centre of such controversy have shied away from addressing it directly or just politely pretended it didn’t exist, Boyega stood up to the bullies and openly called bullshit on anyone protesting over the fact that he was playing a black Stromtrooper. In an interview with V he said: “I’m in the movie, what are you going to do about it? You either enjoy it or you don’t. I’m not saying get used to the future, but what is already happening. People of color and women are increasingly being shown on-screen. For things to be whitewashed just doesn’t make sense.”

    For the perfect one-two punch, he also popped this message up on Instagram. What a man, what a mighty good man (yes he is).

    He still does the dishes

    Think the level of Star Wars secrecy surrounding The Force Awakens is crushing you? Try being Boyega’s parents, who were so peeved that their son couldn’t reveal any details about the movie when he returned home that they punished him the only way they knew how: by making him do the dishes. All of the dishes.

     

    One of us! One of us!

    Like most living, breathing, functioning humans John Boyega grew up with Star Wars. John Boyega loves Star Wars. John Boyega lives, breathes Star Wars. Sure, he may be part of the official universe now but if his reaction to the first trailer is anything to go by he’s as much a frothy nerd as the rest of us.

    Things come full circle

    Post The Force Awakens, he’s next set to star alongside everyone’s imaginary girlfriend Emma Watson in the intriguing technological thriller The Circle. Based on the novel by David Eggers (Her, Where The Wild Things Are, Away We Go), it follows a young woman who lands a job at a powerful tech company where she becomes involved with a mysterious man (*whispers* please be Boyega, please be Boyega). Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Karen Gilian and Patton Oswalt round out the A-List cast.

    I need a hero

    A massive fan of Marvel Comics (like, who isn’t?), Boyega once stated that his dream role would be to play superhero Black Panther. Sadly he missed out on the part, with the studio going with the older Chadwick Boseman (he’s 39, Boyega’s just 23) for the role but hey – if they’re ever thinking of doing an origins story, we may know just the perfect king of Wakanda.